I was a poor poor art student when I decided to start a blog documenting the process of my paintings, photography, drawings and journaling. Now a recent art grad, not much has changed other than the label and maybe a change of scenery.

March 17, 2009

Practice Canvas






I was asked by Tamara to work on something other than just the billboard. Ugh. Can't say I was excited to hear it, but I knew she was right. And I have been hearing a lot about 'studies' and experimenting. I'm never really sure when I have time to do this, however I know it is important to explore other ideas and possibilities where my art can lead to. So I decided to take a stretcher I had used, restretch it with a new canvas and paint from life.

My subject matter: myself.
My process: grab a lonely drawing horse, prop up a mirror on one end and myself on the other. I paint with colors I have mixed previously. No specific colors, I want to stray away from peach and rose, rather just bright colors that give the same effect as skin.

I am pretty excited to see where this practice canvas goes. This was the first study and I have already painted over it. GASP! Yes, I did. I don't regret it, I can crank these out in 20 minutes. However, with many requests, I have decided to restretch each time for a new painting. I am still going to document it through photography. My overall goal with this project is to learn how to paint from life, as well as see that leaving the background is actually a good thing. And that over-painting is something I have to overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment