I was a poor poor art student when I decided to start a blog documenting the process of my paintings, photography, drawings and journaling. Now a recent art grad, not much has changed other than the label and maybe a change of scenery.

May 17, 2009

End of the Year Show


"Much of It Cannot Be Undone", Oil on Canvas, 4'x6'


"Deep Surrender", Oil on Canvas, 3'x4'

Every year at Stout they put on an end of the year show for 2D and 3D work (mainly fine art) in the Furlong Art Gallery in applied arts. I decided to put two pieces in this year, my first painting of my dad lying on a chair, surfing the tube. The other is the piece I worked almost 2 1/2 months on, aka the billboard. I was glad to hear that both got in the show. It is great to have fine art appreciated in the school when design is mainly the focus.

My large piece of my dad in the hospital bed actually won third place (2 first prize winners, 2 second prize winners and 5 third prize winners). I am hoping with this, my name will start to get out there (at least in good ol' Menomonie) and people will see that painting is not a dead language like most believe it to be. Yes, my art is literal when you stand in front of it, but there is meaning and concept behind it that most are unaware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment