I was a poor poor art student when I decided to start a blog documenting the process of my paintings, photography, drawings and journaling. Now a recent art grad, not much has changed other than the label and maybe a change of scenery.

May 17, 2009

Purple.


"15", Oil on Canvas, 2'x4'





I needed to complete two more paintings in order to fulfill my contract in painting III. It was kind of a mad rush, since well time caught up with me once again (pro-crastination) and I was faced with about a week to wrap up the semester.

Over spring break, I took pictures of my dad at work. I must say it was the highlight of my break. I was able to observe my dad in his element, especially since he has recovered from his spine surgery. He was laughing with people in the kitchen, completing orders, carrying pans, shuffling in his over-sized black chef shoes. It made me see a different side to him, one that I was quite found of.

This painting shown here is one of my dad during his 15 minute break, he wanted to smoke a cigarette and I wanted to capture it. He repeatedly told me to step away and worried about me getting smoke in my face...little does he know where I reside for 9 months out of the year...anyways a couple minutes in, he relaxed and I got some great shots.

I started painting this and from the get-go it gave me nothing but problems. These pictures were in the process. I finished, and haven't taken pictures yet, however I am not happy with how the painting turned out. This painting showed me how little I know about light and the effect it has on color. Also, plane shifts are something I hope to work on (like the hand holding the cigarette). I feel once I grasp these two techniques, my paintings will be more successful.

I plan on redoing this painting completely, but most likely with a different background color. I would even like to explore multiples. It was interesting the reaction I got from everyone. We are told smoking is bad in our youth. To avoid it and here I had people coming up to me saying, "that's so cool." Yes, a classic image of an Asian man smoking a cigarette. I must say there is something captivating about it. The wrinkles in his face, the tightness in his mouth, the relaxed gesture of him holding the cigarette, they all signify a sense of mysteriousness.

I also wanted to do this painting because this is post-op of my dad's recovery. He stopped smoking for the surgery, but old habits die hard it seems. So here it is, he had the surgery because of work-related causes, yet doing this harmful thing to his body with his own free will. I find there to be an interesting correlation there, that needs more exploring.

Well, I think that's enough blabbering on to the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment