I was a poor poor art student when I decided to start a blog documenting the process of my paintings, photography, drawings and journaling. Now a recent art grad, not much has changed other than the label and maybe a change of scenery.

September 22, 2009

art-overload.




this semester i've decided to cram in 3 studios: life drawing, painting and product photography. all two-dimensional surfaces, however they involve completely different procedures, methods and ideas of thought. and while i'm a little on the stressed side and my brain is kind of fried on all of these subjects, i am trying to take inspiration from one course and implement that into my other courses.

let me whip up a little example for you:

today in product photography we talked about lighting and how to capture a moving object. the teacher brought up an artist by the name of Howard Schatz. in photography, it's all about capturing a moment that will soon cease to exist, and howard schatz succeeds with this concept. we looked at his images and he primarily focuses on the figure, usually in water or making sort of action. i was immediately drawn to his prints mainly because he does these outrageous angles and played up characters of the figure. this made me think of life drawing and plane shifts. i noticed the muscles that were being formed and the lines being extended. the images also made me think about composition, color and space, something i try and tackle every time i begin a painting.


i really enjoy how these courses are overlapping with each other. i feel like i am have more inspiration than every before and new insights into the art world. probably the only downside would be that it leaves me with more questions than answers, something i always seem to fall into.
right now my big question is: why try and draw/paint something when you can just take a photograph? can a diverse message be conveyed between the same image, but different mediums?

No comments:

Post a Comment