I was a poor poor art student when I decided to start a blog documenting the process of my paintings, photography, drawings and journaling. Now a recent art grad, not much has changed other than the label and maybe a change of scenery.

September 15, 2009

i don't have all the answers.

Yesterday, being my first drawing II class, was exciting and completely terrifying at the same time.

Some things I realized during the 3 hour course:
-Drawing is the foundation of art, and I have completely missed this step for the past two years
-I'm a tad stiff and need to be more fluid with my marks
-Standing up is better than sitting down
-Plane changes are something I can't really grasp and until then I won't be as successful in life drawing

For some reason I thought about the painting I did of my dad smoking (>see previous posts) and how I couldn't paint his hand holding the cigarette. It was impossible to get and I ended up abandoning the project. Now I see the reason for that was how the plane changed and maybe will try the image again in time as my drawing continues to develop.

So another goal to tack onto the list of my 'make it or break it' semester, is to learn plane changes and be conscience of the surface that I am trying to capture (front, side, back, angle, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment