I was a poor poor art student when I decided to start a blog documenting the process of my paintings, photography, drawings and journaling. Now a recent art grad, not much has changed other than the label and maybe a change of scenery.

September 9, 2009

refresher.

back to school time and you know what that means, blogging. i actually started a blog last year because i couldn't really explain that i was an artist without visual representation to back it up. and since i think facebook isn't the best source for these cases, i took matters in my own hands...so to those who read this for class or for pure enjoyment, i am combining my artist blog and my life drawing two blog. and now that you're all good on the dL, here's assignment 1.

i am looking forward to drawing two; which may sound cliche to say, but it's true. too often i find myself relying on photographs and other outlets instead of just sticking to my roots, the basics and witnessing what is right in front of me. drawing is what got me interested in art in the first place and i want to keep it that way.

i hope to learn more about faces and the structure. seeing as that i primarily paint the figure, how could it not be to my benefit? to know what is under the skin is probably one of the keys that i am missing since right now, i just draw what i see. however, it would be grand to have the knowledge of what is creating those divets, folds and shapes on the human face.

certain goals to work on this semester are:
-be aware of the marks that i am making
-not overdue/overwork my drawings
-make mistakes and leave them
-REALLY observe--do not draw what i think is there, but what is.

i've already uploaded a lot of my artwork in previous posts, mainly of paintings. so i will show what i did during 3 1/2 months of break. this summer was all about getting to know my surroundings since i had to work and was pretty broke. so for entertainment, i carried around this sketchbook to most of the places i went and i finished it, which is unheard of in my lifetime. it's a recollection of what i witnessed (cafe's, family, coworkers i worked with, where i went), what i hoped to see and personal insights about the past, present and future. i was quite happy with the outcome and this only gives me more motivation to keep up with documenting the process of daily occurrences in my everyday life.










1 comment:

  1. love this sketchbook--especially the portrait of the man in glasses.

    ReplyDelete