I was a poor poor art student when I decided to start a blog documenting the process of my paintings, photography, drawings and journaling. Now a recent art grad, not much has changed other than the label and maybe a change of scenery.

November 8, 2009

Flickr me

so far, we're past midterms and on to the last few grueling weeks of the semester. it's little flown past me and i haven't even been able to catch my breath it seems....until now. so that means i must blog.

we were told to put up our work on a flickr account so here it is:

Flickr: marK_maKer's Photostream

so far this semester has brought on some interesting challenges. i never realized how long it had been since i drew from life until my charcoal touched that paper. it felt foreign and i have been battling with that ever since. i feel like my line pressure is something i consider a strength of mine, how to use it to create dimension and form is another story. i believe i can capture the characteristics of the individual being drawn, but not understanding plane shifts seems to keep me from really succeeding in my pieces. I still want to look into maybe more of the muscles that are in the facial structure. I understand the skull, but the muscles may be the extra push that i need to completely understand what exactly is under that skin.

the self portrait:
my topic for the self-portrait is somewhere along the lines of my quest for identity. my whole life i have always felt that i have never been on one side, yet i have always been in the middle. half asian/half white, half organized/slob, goal oriented/disoriented. all of this into one person who seems to put her guard up and what do you have: me. i want to try to portray this through a photograph (not sure if it will be just one or a diptych). i want it to look like an actual piece of artwork though, not an art project for school. so far the one that stands out to me is tracy baran. her straight on shots, her use of natural light and edgy symbolism are what i look to capture in my self-portrait.

No comments:

Post a Comment