I was a poor poor art student when I decided to start a blog documenting the process of my paintings, photography, drawings and journaling. Now a recent art grad, not much has changed other than the label and maybe a change of scenery.

April 30, 2010

timing

note to self:

i am going to experiment with timing. most of the time i hate being rushed, because i don't get time to gather my thoughts and process what is in front of me. this makes the anxiety go up.

but this year, having time to paint has allowed me to paint overpaint, and in my eye ruin the painting.

i have been trying to go back constantly to the painting i did of my father in the kitchen. i was able to paint and let it be. i put a mark down and left it for the most part. my perfectionism and super-ego weren't a problem. why is that so hard for me to get back to? charlie says it's a good battle, but again i am torn being conflicted between the particular and the expressive quality of laying marks down. i'm wondering if i can combine these, or if i will constantly have this struggle in my artist and personal life?



so goal for duck painting:

look at painting.
mix color pallet.
paint for 1 1/2 hour only.
look at it.
make small adjustments.
be done.

gosh, just typing those words makes me nervous.

1 comment:

  1. good thing you gave yourself time to paint this semester, because a problem came up that might not have otherwise. You noticed that, when given the time, you overpaint and Charlie can help you adjust to this.

    ReplyDelete