I was a poor poor art student when I decided to start a blog documenting the process of my paintings, photography, drawings and journaling. Now a recent art grad, not much has changed other than the label and maybe a change of scenery.

May 10, 2010

reflection

the time is done.
painting is over.
and for some reason i feel indifferent.

i didn't finish my duck painting. one of my mentor's, deb, told me you will see how hard it is to paint after your show. i thought, no way i've got a picture that i want to paint and i think it will be great. everything will be smooth.

these past 3 weeks have not been smooth, rather difficult to motivate myself to have a brush touch paint touch canvas. i've been enjoying the things that i got to miss out during that time that i was in the studio. do i feel better about it? have i gained anything? yes.

so now i'm done and maybe i should be missing painting. just reading some of my blog posts of the nights where i was in that studio alone, made me realize what a journey it has been. and even telling myself i would miss it. but i don't think i am ready to miss it yet. i think a break is called for. a vacation. but if i'm reading this later down the road, here's a warning for you (kiley): don't give up painting. don't let your procrastination/laziness be the barrier to make great work. things will be and are different, but with change comes new perspective. you will and must paint again.

like i said, i don't miss painting yet. i miss being in the studio with friends or i miss the moment when i was finished with a painting. i miss my space even though i loathed it most of the time. i miss walking out of that applied arts building with the cold air hitting my face and knowing tomorrow was another day to tackle the daunting task of finishing that painting. that's what i miss right now.

this is the song for today, don't ask me why. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmjPrdTNxQ0

No comments:

Post a Comment